Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Rag Quilts



So back to the rag quilt project for our baby. It's finished and here it is. I used some of my favorite flannels I've had in my stash for a long time, remnants of fabric that I've used to make quilts for other babies.


As I've mentioned in my Etsy profile, my first "quilt" was from a photocopied , hand-written set of instructions from the Walmart craft department. I thought about doing a tutorial in this blog (if you can sew a somewhat straight line...you can make a rag quilt); however, there are so many great tutorials out there, I'll just link those to this post. All you need is a variety of fabrics (scraps, really) and some muslin for the batting. I've found that a 7" square is a very nice size with a 5/8" seam for ragging. What it boils down to is a matter of personal preference, so long as you leave a hefty enough seam for the ragging.

Meanwhile, here are some links to make a rag quilt:

This one has very clear instructions and good pictures. This tutorial uses batting for a heavier quilt.

And here is another take on this topic.
Here is another one for more ideas.
The best part about these quilts is that they keep getting better with each washing. This is another one that I recently finished for Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment