Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Strawberry Jam


I have early memories of eating the best strawberry jam (ever) at the cabin, that my grandma had made..and then later on, that my aunt made. A few years ago, I finally asked my aunt what her recipe is. And to my great surprise, what I thought would be a time-tested family heirloom recipe turns out to be merely the standard "freezer jam" recipe on the Sure-Jell box. How 'bout that.

At any rate, after a trip to the strawberry fields with a pair of chubby, stalwart "paddies" (ie. hands) assisting me, we have 2 batches of freezer jam gracing our freezer with their presence (one batch "set", the other did not. A little word to the wise..never try to improvise when using pectin. Follow the directions exactly. lol! I like to learn the hard way, apparently. If a batch turns out runny though, it does make great icecream or waffles/pancakes topping, so no cause for despair)

No comments:

Post a Comment