Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Gingerbread House

We decided to do a gingerbread house this year. I bought this particular set from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $9.99 plus shipping (it was the best deal I found online; it beat out amazon.com); and it is the best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time. The frame of the house was a snap to put together. It was at this point that I said,"Perhaps next year I'll bake a home-made one..." The directions were clear and simple. There was also enough icing for construction and decorating, as well as, sampling. Same thing for the candy; there was plenty there for sampling AND decorating.

We were deep in the throes of detailed decorating, when we noticed that one of our walls had fallen in. And one side of the roof was detaching and sliding off the structure. And the chimney refused to stay put.

It was at this time, that I determined that next year, once again I will opt for the pre-made gingerbread house kit, as this is more suiting for our skill level; and that making it from scratch could very well push me over the edge. :)

Doing the pre-made kit was a lot of fun to do with Strapping Young Lad and stress-free. Oh, and we eventually did manage to stabilize our structure.


The gingerbread man and lady were consumed shortly after this photo was taken; and I noticed today that the tree is now missing. :)) (We have a loose rule; it is acceptable to select one tasty tidbit when passing by where the gingerbread house is set..which equals into many tidbits partaken of in one day, but...we only live once. Might as well eat the gingerbread house and trimmings before it becomes rock hard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment