Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Upcycling Repurposing Framed Embroidery

This is an embroidered picture that my Mom made for my grandparents as a Christmas gift, along time ago.


It's whimsical and I really like it.  It just needs some freshening up.


It was stapled and glued to the cardboard backing, so I trimmed the frayed edges. 

Then I gave it a bath with a small blurb of dish detergent...this picture is approximately the sixth rinsing (hey, it is more than 40 years old).



I decided to make a pillow out of it (one cannot have too many pillows).  So..Enter: the oh-so-versatile cubicle-fabric I sell in my Ebay store, Blackberry's Shed.  Yes, after this fabric's successful run being used for apparel, in making Strapping Young Lad's cowboy vest, it will now debut as "home decor."  Conveniently, the color also goes well with my Mom's embroidered piece. And it's textured and rustic.

I lined the embroidery fabric with my blue fabric to reinforce it, and it is also the back of the pillow.  Also sewed in a blue-grey crochet trim.


There it is. 

2 comments:

  1. I love that you made a something that your Mom gave to her parents into something that you can display in your home! You are such a clever little thing! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! And lovely! kls

    ReplyDelete