Friday, March 18, 2011

It's been a very ethnic week...

I only say that because we skipped around with meals this week, ending up with an array of main course leftovers on Thursday for an interesting, if not complementary, selection:  lasagna (Italian), Boeuf Bourguignon (French, of course), and a side of St. of Irish Soda Brown Bread.

I tend to cook large at the beginning of the week and by the end I ease off a little, due to all the food that still needs eaten. 

The lasagna was one of my better ones...made with spinach and homemade sauce from last summer.  I added ground sausage to counteract the healthiness of the spinach.  It is also one of our better sauces that we've made.  We've made some very non-authentic-Italian-red-sauces, BUT we keep trying.  Someday I'd like to take a lesson from a real Italian.


And the Boeuf Bourguignon...I thought, "Now seriously, how complicated can even the French make a beef stew?..." Ha! Let's just say I started the process immediately in the morning.  One last-minute-visit to the doctor and an errand later, plus the day caring for The People (ie kids), I was just finishing the stew before Hubby got home in the evening!  (I should have knownto expect this, when it took me and two of my friends 3 hours of chopping, roux-making, and etc. to complete Lobster Bisque on a New Year's Eve) 



And the Irish Soda Bread was made with the generous, helping hand of Strapping Young Lad.  I was skeptical of the concept of baking soda bread, but pleasantly surprised with the results.  It makes a very hearty, rustic bread.  It does require being warmed and buttered well for the best tastiness.




And there it is for another week...

1 comment: