Monday, May 16, 2011

Baby Quilt


I recently completed a crib-sized quilt for a friend.  I chose the fabrics according to the fact that her nursery carpet is blue; though she is having a baby girl.


Sorry for the blurriness of the finished-quilt-pictures...I think my camera might be giving up on life.



It's a simple checkerboard pattern.  The only thing I would have done differently is to use the flatter, cotton batting that I normally use; instead of the puffier, polyster batting that I used this time.  I've noticed that people prefer puffy/fluffy when it comes to baby quilts, so I caved.  Except my choice of pattern, fabrics, and quilting style is very old-fashioned and the flatter, classic cotton batting would have suited this much better.  Oh well.  I guess if I was a perfect quilter, I'd have a big plaque hanging somewhere stating as much. :)

As I worked on this quilt, I mused how it would have suited my sister-in-law's tastes better, instead of the quilt (pictured below) that I made for her baby girl... (you see, I know that we both love bohemian styled clothes and housewares, etc; so I made a wild, bohemian quilt for her...but I missed the boat b/c her style, which very much suits her little girl, is very "English garden" or calico-on-the-prairie or a cross between the two)  Yes, at any rate, this one is certainly very eye-catching... LOL.

2 comments:

  1. yes, but the bohemian captures Pemmican SO well. :) And I do so love the artful quilt you made her; it's PERFECT! It's really an incredible melding of English garden (see backing and various other large flower prints) and bohemian (see brilliant vibrant colors, etc). So I'd still say you hit it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. I appreciate your kind comment. I do think that the border fabric is influenced heavily with a Victorian approach. Not to mention it ought to hide stains and wear and tear well. I also appreciate a bit of the irony of that quilt. No matter, I have a little stack of "English lush garden/shabby chic" fabric which is essentially reserved for you and the wee Pemmican, as creative urges strike.

    ReplyDelete